You have worked hard all your life to amass property and assets and to provide for your family and loved ones. When your time comes, you want to have the peace of mind that your assets and property will continue to benefit your family and those you want to provide for after you are gone.
Estate planning is the process whereby you plan for the inevitable, and obtain the peace of mind that when your time comes there is a plan in place to ensure your last wishes are honored and to ease the burden of your passing for your family and loved ones.
Probate is the judicial process of administering a person’s estate after they pass away. This should include enforcing an individual’s estate plan after their passing and making sure their final wishes and beneficiaries are provided for after they are gone. Without an estate plan, the Florida statues will determine the administration of your estate and the disposition of your assets.
When you engage in estate planning, you are taking proactive steps to make sure your assets and loved ones are provided for when you pass. This may be as complex as managing multiple investments, businesses, and real estate holdings or as simple as making sure the proper individuals know where to find your holdings and how to properly honor your end-care wishes.
Making verbal promises and announcements as to what you want to happen when you are gone is not enough. You must have legally valid estate planning documents in place or else governmental statutes will dictate what happens to your assets when you pass, regardless of your wishes. These estate planning documents (wills, trusts, advanced directives and medical releases to name a few) need to be drafted according to your specific needs and should be amended and changed over time as your situation and wishes dictate.
In addition to estate planning for assets, we also take care of end-of-life matters. We draft the proper documents to ensure that the individual or individuals of your choosing have the permission and authority to make medical and other financial decisions on your behalf should you become incapacitated. This is a great benefit for both you and your family in that it streamlines the medical process and avoids the litany of bureaucratic roadblocks required of most medical providers to even discuss, much less take direction on, your medical care with another person.
Estate planning can be as simple or complex as it needs to be depending on your particular assets and wishes, so having experienced estate planning counsel to assist you through this process ensures that your wishes are legally documented and avoids costly litigation and potential disputes between your beneficiaries after your passing.
Probate is the judicial process of administering a person’s estate after they pass away. As probate counsel, our job is to guide your personal representative and beneficiaries through the probate process as quickly and smoothly as possible to get your assets into the hands of the appropriate party.
Depending on your estate planning documents, this may involve the opening of a probate case to legally pass your assets onto your other beneficiaries of the funding and management of a trust for your beneficiaries.
How Can an Estate Planning Lawyer Help You?
Estate planning is a vital step in securing your legacy, and an estate planning lawyer plays a pivotal role in this process. Here's how their expertise can make a significant difference:
- Tailored Solutions: Estate planning lawyers craft personalized plans to align with your unique circumstances, family dynamics, and financial goals.
- Asset Protection: These professionals use legal tools to shield your assets from creditors and potential legal claims, ensuring your wealth passes to your intended beneficiaries.
- Tax Efficiency: By leveraging their knowledge of tax laws, estate planning lawyers minimize the tax burden on your estate, maximizing the inheritance for your loved ones.
- Streamlined Probate: They structure your plan to reduce the assets subject to probate, streamlining the distribution process and alleviating stress for your heirs.
- Flexibility and Updates: Estate planning lawyers build flexibility into your plan, accommodating potential life changes. Regular reviews ensure ongoing relevance and effectiveness.
- Healthcare Directives: These professionals assist in preparing healthcare directives, such as powers of attorney and living wills, clarifying your medical preferences during unforeseen circumstances.
We had great experiences with Mr. Roy. And all the folks here.Kathryn D.
We were referred to Lansing Roy and it was one of the best decisions we made.Douglas P.
A wonderful firm!!!Brenda B.
Solid Reputation in the Industry
Well-Versed in Bankruptcy Law
Non-judgmental Approach to Each Case
Caring & Personable Service
Florida To speak to a Jacksonville bankruptcy and foreclosure defense attorney from our law firm, call us at (904) 574-5499 or email us for a FREE consultation. We may be able to help you get your financial life back on track.